- 2018 Automated Recycling Collection Schedule
- 2018 Dartmouth Annual Flyer
- 2018 Recycling Event Flyer
- 2018 Leaf & Yard waste schedule
- Styrofoam Blocks
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The Dartmouth Select Board and Department of Public Works place a high priority on recycling. More recycling means less trash, which means longer life for the Crapo Hill Landfill and less expense for the homeowner.
Dartmouth residents have three options to recycle and dispose of trash:
1. Participate in the Town’s “SMART” (Save Money And Reduce Trash) program. Residents pay a base rate that entitles them to the following services:
- curbside trash and recycling collection;
- curbside yard waste pick up every spring and fall;
- bulky waste pick up by appointment (per item fee applies);
- curbside Christmas tree collection in January;
- free disposal of two tires per year at the Transfer Station.
- Use of the Dartmouth Transfer Station. Accepted items include: air conditioners & refrigerators, batteries (rechargeable & car), books (DVDs, CDs, & records), clothing & shoes (clean & dry), computer monitors, cooking oil, corrugated cardboard, fluorescent bulbs, furniture, glass (clear & colored food & beverage containers, mercury devices (e.g. thermometers, thermostats), metal cans, mixed paper (magazines, junk mail, office & school paper, phone books, food boxes, tissue & shoe boxes), newspaper, plastic containers, propane tanks, scrap metal, Styrofoam blocks, televisions, waste oil, and white goods (e.g. washers, dryers). Note: fee applies for some items.
For recycling, participants are provided with two wheeled recycling carts – one for paper and cardboard and a second for plastic, metal and glass bottles and cans. On alternating weeks the Town collects mixed cans, bottles, jugs, and jars in the cart with a gray lid and the following week will pick up mixed paper and flattened cardboard in the cart with the black lid.
SMART customers must set out trash in specially marked orange bags that cost $1 (about 15 pounds of trash) or $2 (about 30 pounds).
For more information about the SMART program, please visit the Town of Dartmouth DPW website here http://www.town.dartmouth.ma.us/department-public-works/pages/automated-smart-waste-reduction-program.
2. Recycle at the Transfer Station, 976 Russells Mills Road on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:30 am to 3:15 pm, and Saturdays 7:30 am to 2:45 pm. You must have a transfer station permit to use the Transfer Station and your trash must still be in the special orange bags. Construction and demolition debris is also accepted for a fee. Please see a list of accepted items above.
3. Hire a private hauler to collect your recyclables and trash.
Recycling Plastic Bags at the Grocery Stores
Recycle CLEAN and DRY plastic bags at grocery stores. Look near the entrance for a container designated for plastic bags. Do not place plastic bags or case wrap (plastic that is around multipacks of water bottles) in the curbside recycling carts. Plastic bags jam the equipment at recycling facilities. Also, do not bag recyclables; sorting facilities are designed to deal with loose paper, bottles, and cans. If you have any questions, call the Recycling Office at (508) 979-1493.
Dartmouth Curbside Yard Waste Collection
Curbside (for S.M.A.R.T. customer only)
Yard waste is collected on certain weeks in the spring and the fall, depending on your collection day. For the latest schedule, please click here https://www.town.dartmouth.ma.us/department-public-works/news/2018-yard-waste-pick-schedule
Collection begins at 7:00 a.m. All grass, leaves, and yard clippings must be placed in biodegradable bags or loose in barrels or corrugated boxes.
Drop-Off (Transfer Station Sticker required)
Yard waste may also be brought to the Water Pollution Facility at 759 Russells Mills Road. A Transfer Station permit is required and available free of charge to SMART customers. Drop off grass, leaves, small branches, bushes, prunings or general brush. Maximum size is 6 inches in diameter and 4 feet in length. NO stumps.
Hours for the leaf compost area are:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 7:30 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. Closed on Wednesday, and Saturday 7:30 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.