New Bedford Recycling
- Join us on Facebook
- 2016 New Bedford Recycling Flyer
- Recycling Information In Portuguese | (Informação de Reciclagem em Português)
Mayor Jon Mitchell and the Department of Public Facilities place a high priority on recycling. More recycling means less trash, which means longer life for the Crapo Hill Landfill and less expense for the taxpayers.
The City of New Bedford, through its contractor, ABC Disposal, provides for an extensive curbside collection program as follows:
- Recycling pick up for residents and small to medium sized businesses
- Trash collection for residents and small to medium sized businesses
- Flattened cardboard recycling for small to medium sized businesses (call 508-979-1493 to be added to the route)
- Seasonal grass and leaf collection for residents
- Seasonal brush pick up for residents by appointment
- Bulky waste pick up (one item allowed per building) for couches, chairs, mattresses/box springs and wooden furniture
- Special collection item pick up by appointment (washing machine, dryer, stove, refrigerator, microwave, grill, computer monitor, television, bike and any other metal items). Call ABC Disposal at 508-999-2619.
The City’s Shawmut Avenue Transfer Station is open to New Bedford residents to drop off aerosol containers, antifreeze, books, car batteries, clothing, computer monitors & televisions, fluorescent lamps, furniture, leaves and brush, mercury devices, propane tanks, rechargeable batteries, scrap metal, waste oil and oil filters. The transfer station is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 12:00pm to 5:00pm and Saturday 7:30am to 3:00pm.
No construction or demolition debris is accepted. Please contact New Bedford Waste at 508-992-3667.
Detailed recycling information is available at the City’s website at www.newbedfordrecycling.org.
Recycling Plastic Bags at the Grocery Stores
Recycle CLEAN and DRY plastic bags at the grocery stores. Look near the entrance for a container designated for plastic bags. Do not place plastic bags, film, or case wrap in the curbside bins. Plastic film is problematic for the equipment at the recycling facilities. If you have any questions, call the Recycling Office at (508) 979-1493.
Yard Waste Collection
Starts April 4, 2016 and ends December 16, 2016
How to Handle Grass and Leaves Easy as only 1 & 2!
1. Prepare your grass, leaves, & twigs.
- Place grass and leaves in biodegradable paper bags or loose in barrels.
- Grass and leaves in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Branches that are 1/4″ or less in diameter will be collected with the grass and leaves. Branches that are greater than 1/4″ in diameter will be collected as brush (see below).
2. Set out grass and leaves for collection.
- Grass and leaves will be collected curbside April 6th through December 18th. Set grass and leaves at the curb on the day following the regular trash and recycling collection.
How to Handle Brush Easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Prepare your brush. Branches may be no more than four inches in diameter and must be tied securely in bundles not to exceed four feet in length and two feet in width.
2. Call ABC Disposal at (508) 999-2619 to make an appointment. Brush will be collected by appointment during the last week of each month from April to November.
3. Set out your brush by 7:00 a.m. on the day of the appointment.
On average, each New Bedford resident produces 2.5 pounds of solid waste each day. This adds up to almost half a ton of trash per person, per year.