New Bedford Recycling
- Join us on Facebook
- 2017 New Bedford flyer
- 2017 Event flyer
- Recycling Information In Portuguese | (Informação de Reciclagem em Português)
Mayor Jon Mitchell and the Department of Public Facilities place a high priority on recycling. More recycling means less trash, which means longer life for the Crapo Hill Landfill and less expense for the taxpayers. Please recycle all clean paper, cardboard, bottles, can, jugs, jars, and cartons.
The City of New Bedford, through its contractor, ABC Disposal, provides an extensive curbside collection program as follows:
- Recycling pick up for residents and small to medium sized businesses
- Trash collection for residents and small to medium sized businesses
- Cardboard recycling for small to medium sized businesses. Call (508) 979-1493 to be added to the route.
- Seasonal grass and leaf collection for residents
- Seasonal brush pick up for residents by appointment. Call (508) 999-2619 to make an appointment.
- Bulky waste pick up by appointment. Bulky items include mattresses, couches, furniture, refrigerators, microwaves, televisions, stoves, bikes, metal items, etc. Call (508) 999-2619 for an appointment.
The Shawmut Avenue Transfer Station is open to New Bedford residents to drop off the following:
- air conditioners
- books (DVDs, CDs, & records also accepted in the books container)
- car batteries
- computer monitors & televisions
- fluorescent lamps
- large plastics (e.g., laundry baskets, plastic furniture, plastic barrels)
- leaves and brush
- mercury devices
- propane tanks
- rechargeable batteries
- scrap metal
- single stream recycling (paper, bottles, cans, jugs, jars, empty aerosol containers, & cartons)
- Styrofoam blocks
- waste oil
- oil filters
The transfer station is open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and is located at 1103 Shawmut Avenue. No construction or demolition debris is accepted (please contact New Bedford Waste Services at (508) 992-3667.
Detailed recycling information is available at the City’s website at www.newbedfordrecycling.org.
Recycling Plastic Bags at the Grocery Stores (not in curbside recycling carts)
Recycle CLEAN and DRY plastic bags at grocery stores. Look near the entrance for a container designated for plastic bags. Do not place plastic bags or case wrap (plastic that is around multipacks of water bottles) in the curbside recycling carts. Plastic bags jam the equipment at recycling facilities. Also, do not bag recyclables; sorting facilities are designed to deal with loose paper, bottles, and cans. If you have any questions, call the Recycling Office at (508) 979-1493.
Yard Waste Collection
Starts April 4, 2016 and ends December 16, 2016
How to Handle Grass and Leaves Easy as only 1 & 2!
1. Prepare your grass, leaves, & twigs.
- Place grass and leaves in biodegradable paper bags or loose in barrels.
- Grass and leaves in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Branches that are 1/4″ or less in diameter will be collected with the grass and leaves. Branches that are greater than 1/4″ in diameter will be collected as brush (see below).
2. Set out grass and leaves for collection.
- Grass and leaves will be collected curbside April 6th through December 18th. Set grass and leaves at the curb on the day following the regular trash and recycling collection.
How to Handle Brush Easy
1. Prepare your brush. Branches may be no more than four inches in diameter and must be tied securely in bundles not to exceed four feet in length and two feet in width.
2. Call ABC Disposal at (508) 999-2619 to make an appointment. Brush will be collected by appointment during the last week of each month from April to November.
3. Set out your brush by 7:00 a.m. on the day of the appointment.
For more information about recycling in New Bedford, please call (508) 979-1493 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org